NOW YOU SEE IT, NOW YOU DON’T: Strategies to Identify & Prevent Drug Diversion
Includes a Live Event on 11/21/2019 at 1:00 PM (EST)
IP Competency: Novice, Proficient, Expert
Duration: 60 minutes Available through: 12/31/2021
According to the Mayo Clinic, up to 15% of healthcare workers are addicted to drugs of alcohol. These workers develop and feed their addictions through drug diversion. The statistics are alarming and represent the seriousness and scope of the issue of drug diversion in healthcare.
Drug Diversion can play a critical role in patient safety including risk of infection, along with other factors (Possible Impaired Provider and Potential Increase of Patient’s Pain Level).
- Abuse vs Diversion Definition
- Efforts to Prevent Diversion
- Patient Safety --- Infection Control
- Strategies for Identifying & Preventing Diversion
- Chain of Custody for Controlled Substances
- Risk Analysis
- Risk Management --- Using Audit Tools
- Proper Disposal of Controlled Substances
- Best Practices Reporting
- Differentiate between Drug Abuse and Diversion.
- Identify the Strategies Used to Prevent Diversion.
- Identify the Patient Safety Issues related to Drug Diversion.
- Identify the steps to take for a Suspected Diversion.
Group Site License: Registration includes one internet connection and one telephone connection at one location and an unlimited number of participants from your organization in one listening room.
Tonya Wagner, BSN, RN
Senior Clinical Director, Clinical Services, AMSURG
Tonya Wagner, BSN, RN is a Senior Clinical Director at Amsurg. She manages ambulatory surgery centers throughout the Southeast, the Mid Atlantic States, and the Midwest. Her law enforcement experience coupled with 19 years of nursing experience ignites her passion for Emergency Preparedness, Active Shooter, and Drug Diversion, and Infection Control. Tonya has served on APIC’s Emergency Preparedness Committee and was the Vice Chair. Currently, she is serving on the Education Committee. Tonya received her BSN from the Medical University of South Carolina in 2000.
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. (APIC) is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
- Nursing Contact Hours: XX (not always applicable as not all webinars are eligible)
- To get CNE for a webinar, you must attend the program in its entirety and complete an on-line evaluation of it. Your feedback is not only required by our CNE accrediting body, but it is vital to development of future programming that best meets learners' needs. We read every word you write.
- No speaker or planning committee member disclosed any financial or commercial interest that affected this educational activity.
All Event Center users/viewers must access the meeting with an HTML 5 supported web browser. To confirm if you are ready to participate in a web meeting, please take the browser test:
Below are more specific user requirements for the EventCenter web technology.
Minimum System Requirements:
2.0Ghz Processor or faster
2 GB RAM (Greater than 2 GB recommended)
Minimum Browser Requirements:
Browser must support HTML-5. To detect your browser version, run https://whichbrowser.net/
Windows 7 or later
Mac OS X 10.9 or later
Chrome 60 or greater
Firefox 52 or greater
Edge 14 or greater
Safari 10 or greater
iOS 10 or greater
Internet Explorer 11
IP Addresses and Ports to Allow for HTML5:
126.96.36.199 port 80, 443 (web and audio)
188.8.131.52 port 80, 443 (web and audio)
184.108.40.206 ports 80, 443 (web and audio)
220.127.116.11 ports 80, 443 (web and audio)
18.104.22.168 ports 80, 443 (web and audio)
Technical support: email@example.com
Are you watching this webinar with a group? Everyone watching the presentation can request a certificate.
Note: Each group member must register themselves for the survey via this link using your APIC username and password: Survey and Certificate Access.
At the end of the event, you will receive a verification code. All group members must have this verification code to access the survey and certificate.
Upon completion of the program:
- Log in to webinars.apic.org and select “Dashboard”.
- Select the webinar you just viewed followed by the Contents tab
- Input the verification code in the space provided and submit
- Complete the webinar survey
- Print Certificate
Direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.